is-cru answers 25 questions about her reading habits and history.
- Did you start learning to read in school or at home? At home. I was born in Germany, so I started to read in German first then English once I started Kindergarden on base. I spoke both languages fluently, but German was spoken at home and English when on base or around other Americans.
- Were you told bedtimes stories when you were younger? Yes, Mom would read from a German Maerchen book that had the stories broken into little daily snips.
- Do you prefer paperback or hardcover? Hmm… that’s a tough one. I like both, but I own more paperbacks now due to my library containing mostly manga.
- Do you prefer borrowed, used, or brand new? Definitely prefer brand new, but I own some used books and still borrow books from my local public library.
- List a book you’ve read more than 10 times. Oh! Another tough one… Here are a few of the ones I’ve 10+ times:
- Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes at least 10 times if not more
- Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater Rhodes 12 times
- Dragon’s Bait by Vivian Vande Velde 14 times
- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause 10 times
- List a book series you’ve read more than 3 times. I reread manga series a LOT, so here are a few I’ve read 3+ times.
- Sailor Moon (10x)
- Red River (5x)
- Fushigi Yuugi (3x)
- Vampire Game (4x)
- Den of Shadows by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (4x)
- Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber (3x)
- List a book/series you liked the film adaptation of. The Giver. It wasn’t the way I’d imagined the world to be, but still I liked the way it was protrayed.
- List an author you’ve recently discovered. Yamila Abraham.
- List a book/series you wish you had more people to talk about it with. Man, that’s another tough one! I wish I had someone in my circle of RL friends to discuss In These Words universe and Orochi no Kishi with, but sadly both are too dark for my friends.
- List the author you’ve read the most books by. Hmm… For manga: Yu Watase, Chie Shinohara, Tite Kubo, Masashi Kishimoto, and Akira Toriyama. Novels: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, James Patterson, and J.K. Rowling.
- List a classic book (according to your culture) that you’ve read and liked. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. Favorite of his short stories.
- List a classic book (according to your culture) that you’ve read and didn’t like or didn’t get. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Could never finish it due to falling asleep after EVERY chapter.
- List a book that a lot of people seemed to like, but you didn’t. Fifty Shades of Grey. Tried to read it 3 times and each time I get bored after chapter 1.
- List a book that a lot of people seemed to dislike, but you did. I can’t remember which book from the Vampire Chronicles, but one of them.
- Do you read book introductions or synopses before or after you read the story? Both. I’ll read them before I buy/read a book and then after to prove if they were accurate.
- List a book you’ve read that had one of the best surprise endings. Hmm… Tough question. I rarely get surprised by endings, so when I do it has a deep impact on me. Two come to mind:
- Do you leave notes in margins or leave the book pristine? Depends on the books. I have some books where I’ve corrected like crazy and some which have oogles of notes, but I mostly try not to write in my books.
- Do you prefer dogears or bookmarks? Bookmarks. Dogearing is one of my petpeeves.
- Do you remove the dust jacket when you read? Y.E.S. I don’t like to damage them. 😀
- Do you prefer to read in one sitting or take breaks? If time allots, I prefer to read in one sitting. As of late I’ve been marathon reading in my down time, which ranges from 10-20 manga or 5-10 novels.
- Do you prefer to lounge (in bed or on a sofa) or sit while reading? Depends on my mood, but most of the time I’m sitting in my reading chair curled up with a blanket.
- List a book/series that wasn’t as great the second time around. Kiesha’ra Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I had favorites and then 1 or 2 not so much.
- Have you ever read a book and imagined specific people (actor, friend, family member, guy at the bus stop) as some of the characters? If so, which book and which person/people? Nope. I normally create my own renditions of the characters in my head or sometimes base them off of the book covers.
- Has anything interesting ever happened to you in a bookstore or while buying a book? When Borders still existed, the store clerks knew since I was little (9 or 10) and my tastes. They’d save me new releases of books/manga under the counter for me when I came on Saturdays to shop. I really miss those days.
- Do you reread to relive or to remember? Both. Depends on the series, but most of the time I reread to relive.
Man, did that get wordy or what?! xD
Me: So you have a thing for vampires? I do, too, but I mostly prefer to watch them. Although I think I’ve read most of the vampire BL, but they’ve all been relatively disappointing. It’s such a shame since homo-eroticism is practically woven into the fabric of the modern vampire story.
What do you think of Yamila Abraham’s work?
I’m real and I have a life, so if you ever want to talk about ITW or OnK, I’m here for you. We should also talk about Sakura-Gari some time. Oh, and Bleach!
Fun fact: Poe is my favorite and I actually considered becoming a Poe scholar.
LOL. Now that I think of it… I’ve read most of the vampire BL, too. Most of the time I’m disappointed after reading or frustrated about the ending. T-T
Surprisingly I like Yamila’s hetero stories over the m/m. I’m especially liking the Alien Bride spin-offs.
Nice!! Ooh! I LOVE Sakura-Gari!! >///< It’s SO dark, but good.